Tuesday, October 2, 2012

100th Post!

Today marks my 100th post so I am posting  pictures of a place I spent a lot of time at when I was a kid as I lived quite close by.  I stopped by The Buffalo Zoo one day recently, unfortunately a little late in the day to go in so I walked around the outside and took some nice photos.



Wow this is cool, this is at the Jewett Pkwy entrance to the zoo. I am guessing this was part of a gate at one time. There is just one of these standing, it is made out of cast iron. It did not have any stamping of where it was made or how old it is.

These concrete sculptures are at all the gates. They only use one gate now because of the admission charge but when I was young you could walk in at any gate for free.


This of course marked the entrance closest to the 
Elephant House.


Very playful looking bears, of course they are not as someone snuck in one night in 1979 and found out the hard way. 

Otters? They just built anew exhibition for otters.




And this one of course marks the entrance to the lion house, they have expanded that area also.



The primates and reptiles were connected and nearby these gates.


The seals always put on a good show for the kids.


The Zoo is doing it's best to do with what they have as it is landlocked, they have just broken ground for a new visitors center and main entrance.

No comments:

Post a Comment